Friends depends on volunteers like you! If you already know how you’d like to help, please follow the link below to our sign-up form.
Not sure what you want to do? Check out this list of some of the things Friends volunteers do and then complete the sign-up form.
Possible Volunteer Opportunities
- Be a Friends Ambassador! Advocate for our libraries by liking, sharing and commenting on posts on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn pages and by sharing our enewsletter “Friends ♥ KCPL” with your friends and colleagues.
- Author Events Committee: Help research, plan, and implement author events. Previous events have included Elizabeth Gilbert in November 2013, Ron Rash in March 2014, Dom Flemons in March 2015, and Steve Inskeep in June 2015. Email the Author Events chair.
- Head Start Partnership: Volunteer to read to children in Head Start classes. Sessions are scheduled in Spring and Fall. If you’re interested in being a volunteer reader, or if you’re willing to be a substitute reader, please contact us.
- Communications Committee: Help us share news and information about our cause in print and online. Email to learn more.
- Sort and Organize Donated Books: Help sort and organize donated books throughout the year to get them ready for our book sales. Please email Jean Idell if you want to help.
- Shoebox Libraries: help identify book needs by site and help with deliveries. Please email Lauren Bray to help.
- Friends @ Rothrock Used Book Shop: Volunteer to work one 4-hour shift per month at Rothrock. Please email Jean Idell if you can help.
- Branch Book Sales: Assist by stocking, helping customers, and working the membership table at our branch sales. Please email Jean Idell if you want to help.
- Annual Used Book Sale and Special Sales: Assist with sales at the Annual Used Book Sale or at special events such as the Children’s Festival of Reading and the East Tennessee History Fair. Please email Jean Idell to volunteer.
- Imagination Library: Email Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library of Knox County to volunteer to help sign children up for free books or to help out with events.
- Empty Stocking Fund Book Drive: Help gather donated books and serve on Distribution Day at Chilhowee Park, organizing and distributing books to Knox County children.
Subscribe to our newsletter to find out about other volunteer opportunities as they arise!
Photo Credit: Working downtown in the Rothrock bookstore, volunteer Shirley Harrison gives a quick lesson on knitting to a rapt audience. Photographer: Abby Wintker